The Body is Key
The body is the vessel in which we live and experience the world around us. We experience emotions, sensations, and memories in our bodies. Drawing awareness of the body’s experiences can unlock profound insight and healing.
In dance/movement therapy, your movement, gestures, sensations, and actions are explored as a unique language that goes beyond words. Dance/movement therapists use a range of practices from breath work and body awareness to full-body expressive dance. No dance or movement experience is necessary, as sessions are not like a dance class where you learn the traditional technique. Rather, you learn to tune into your body’s knowledge and patterns--both conscious and unconscious--to access internal sources of transformation.
Often combined with traditional talk therapy, dance/movement therapy allows us to explore movement, mindfully engage the senses, and reflect on body language as it relates to your communication, emotional awareness and expression, behaviors and impulses, and general functionality in your day to day life.
Dance/Movement therapy is a good match for you if you...
- Have body-based symptoms (i.e. anxious stomach, body tension, etc)
- Have difficulty talking about trauma or wish to safely release more than thoughts and words will allow
- Would like to understand how your thoughts, emotions, and body experiences all impact each other
- Would like some mindfulness tools and support in learning how to be present in the moment (or with your partner)
- Want to feel more comfortable in your body
- Want to feel a sense of freedom or acceptance
- Feel stuck and want to learn to let go
- Feel overwhelmed, flooded, or in a fight-or-flight state often
- Would like to learn breathing techniques and/or gentle guided movement
- Enjoy expressing yourself or your energy in a physical way
- Like to “dance” - no technique, skills, or knowledge required
We love to move with all ages, individuals, and couples! Our dance/movement therapists can support you in English or American Sign Language and can also work with those who are nonverbal.
We use movement and the body as a resource to address many needs, such as trauma, abuse, life transitions, eating disorders, movement disorders, postpartum issues, autism spectrum disorder, anxiety, grief and loss, relationships, identity, sense of fulfillment, and more.
What kind of “dance” will I do
Dance/Movement Therapy includes “movement” in our name because it is not just “dance” in the traditional sense of the word. It is about learning to understand your body, to your body as a calming or grounding resource, or to creatively express yourself through movement.
Some options you may try with a dance/movement therapist include:
- Breathing techniques
- Guided imagery and mindfulness
- Grounding/calming techniques supported by movement exercises
- Guided gentle movement
- Movement to express, exaggerate, or explore a thought or feeling
- Attunement and movement with your partner or family member
- Playing with large movement objects, like stretch bands or balls
- Embodied storytelling
- Creating “dances” or a form of embodied expression
Contact us today to book an appointment for Dance/Movement Therapy.
$140 - $185 | 1 hr
How Do I Know If I’m Covered for Your Services?
You can verify your eligibility and benefits by calling the customer service number on the back of your insurance card. Some questions to ask are, “What are my outpatient mental health benefits?", “Do I have a co-pay, co-insurance, or deductible for outpatient mental health services?”, and “Are there any limits or authorizations required?”
Your exact coverage and the amount you will owe cannot be confirmed until a claim has been filed and processed by your insurance provider. Please note that not all services may be covered by insurance. This includes, but is not limited to, wellness workshops, and music therapy.
Send a Message to InTouch & Motion
All your provided information are safe with us. We hate spam as much you do.