By Sabrina Washington, MA, Reiki III, GLCMA
This holiday season can be a whole lot smoother if we have some self-care love nuggets (or crisis reduction tools) waiting for us around every corner. Give yourself permission to take mini breaks. Set yourself up for spontaneous self-care with some simple tips and tools:
- Use comforting natural scents around the house that you can vacation to for brief moments, like cinnamon sticks and apple pie soy candles.
- Use soothing essential oils to sniff on the side, diffuse while running around like a turkey with its head cut off, or use topically (with carrier oil when called for) to help you shift into sanity. Try lavender – known to be safe topically and can have instant relaxation results. You may also try eucalyptus, peppermint (be cautious topically with carrier oil as it may be too strong for some) or your favorite blend.
- Stick crystals in your pocket, making a deal with them to attune and fight stress together. Try hematite, or black tourmaline for grounding, and rose quartz for help keeping your compassion going through the ongoing demands of life.
- Take tea breaks. Pause for 5 minutes to focus in on the warmth, clear your mind, and sip on some sensual tea blends while letting your zombie brain relax. Try green or white tea and/or herbal blends that boost your immune system and soothe the soul. Make your mouth happy, in a healthy way, and somehow your whole body is happy too.
- Although, if you can pull off a regular yoga class or work out at least once a week, do it up! That will save your life by keeping those stress hormones down and resiliency up.
- Commit to a 5 minute (at least) spiritual or self-care practice a day. Connecting to your authentic self, and/or spiritual guides each day will help you stay grounded, open to support from within and above, and trust in yourself and the fact that you are, indeed, enough.
Meditation, self-massage, reading your favorite book, connecting with your angels or spiritual guides, and dancing in your kitchen with the kidlings, are all possible mini-brakes to keep you feeling connected to the most important person in this equation: YOU. Even a simple gratitude practice when you wake up in the morning, can set the day off right.
All in all, you know you’ll get through it. You do every year. New circumstances might bring new challenges, but it’s the same wise and resourceful you. Built for survival we are. However, why not make this year sweeter!? Happy Holidays!
Want to learn more about self-care, essential oils, crystals, and other ways to connect to your authentic self? Ask Sabrina!